Please note that other airlines have their own privacy policies. Air India recommends you read those other policies if your travel plans include travel on other airlines, as those policies may differ from Air India.
I. The Types of Personal Data We Collect
As per Air India’s business practices, we may collect Personal Data from you. “Personal Information” or “Personal Data” means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified.
We currently collect and process the following Personal Data:
- personal identifiers, contacts, and characteristics (for example, name, date of birth, gender, title, postal address, billing address, home address, email address, contact details, and frequent flyer program and number);
- passport details;
- your itinerary;
- travel documents and visa details (for example: passport details);
- meal preferences;
- travel preferences;
- payment data such as payment method details, bank account details, UPI information, and credit information;
- health details (for example: medical history, medical issues, or any allergies);
- IP addresses, device information, and browser information;
- marketing and communication preferences;
Where permissible under applicable law, we may process special categories of Personal Data, such as health information to assess your fitness to travel or in relation to special assistance requests and biometric voice recordings to confirm your identity. Subject to applicable laws, we may monitor or record your phone conversations for training and customer service purposes, to comply with relevant legal obligations and to make and defend claims. If you visit one of our Reservations and Ticketing Offices or an Air India Lounge, you may be monitored by closed circuit television for security purposes.
Where we need to collect Personal Data by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that data when requested, where permitted by applicable law, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with access or use to our website, mobile application, and other services).
II. How we Collect / Receive the Personal Data and the Use of such Personal Data
We use different methods to collect Personal Data about you, including through:
Direct Interactions: You may give us your Personal Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by phone, email, on our website, through live chat, or otherwise. This includes Personal Data you provide when you:
- apply for our products or services;
- create an account on our website or app;
- use our live chat option “Ask Maharaja”;
- subscribe to our service or publications;
- request marketing communications to be sent to you;
- enter a competition, promotion, or survey; or
- give us feedback or contact us.
Most of the Personal Data we process is provided to us directly by you through our website, mobile site or mobile application and through our live chat option called “Ask Maharaja” for one of the following reasons:
- To help us understand you better and so that we can give you relevant offers in order to enhance your experience of traveling with us.
- To use your Personal Data to facilitate your travel with us, fulfil your travel arrangements and deliver the services you have asked for.
- To manage the boarding process and to facilitate flight connections at the airport.
- To provide services such as ground handling, baggage services, travel and tours.
- To administer city tours and activities, ground transportation services, hotel bookings, travel insurance, car rentals or other ancillary services that you have requested through us.
- To keep track of your flight in advance and at the airport.
- To help keep you safe when you fly with us and to meet certain legal and regulatory requirements.
- To provide services tailored to your requirements and to treat you in a more personal way.
- To provide you with benefits from our Loyalty Programme.
- To facilitate duty free purchases.
- To send marketing and promotional messages if you have subscribed to it and to carry out analysis and market research.
- To send important information relating to a product or service you have purchased to keep you informed about your booking and travel itinerary.
- To make your flying experience, smooth and user-friendly by sending regular status updates and service communications.
- To improve our websites, products and services.
- For management and administrative purposes.
III. Personal Information of Children
Due to the nature of our services as an airline, we may collect travel information, which may include Personal Data of persons below the age of majority (“children”) when it is required to comply with the law, or as otherwise required to provide transportation needs and services (e.g. Air India may offer special discounts to children and needs to assess fare eligibility, verification at check in, and sharing of data to another airline if a transfer is involved or for transport of unaccompanied children).
The website, mobile applications, and services such as our live chat option are not intended for children. We do not address our website or services to children or knowingly collect personal data directly from children. We are not able to identify the age of persons who access and use our website, mobile sites or mobile apps or subscribe to our newsletters.
If you are a parent or a guardian of a child who has provided Personal Data without your knowledge and consent, you may request us to unsubscribe the child.
IV. Lawfulness of Processing
Personal information shall be processed in accordance with one of the following lawful grounds:
- you have provided consent for the processing of your Personal Data for one or more specific purposes;
- processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are party or in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into a contract;
- processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which Air India is subject;
- processing is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or the vital interests of another natural person;
- processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interest pursued by Air India or by a third party, except where such interests are overridden by the interest or fundamental rights and freedom of individuals which require protection of Personal Data.
Note that we may process your Personal Data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your data. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your Personal Data.
V. Who We Share your Personal Data With
We may share this information with:
- to other companies in the Air India Group;
- to customs, border control, security, anti-terrorism and immigration authorities, which require by law access to booking and travel itinerary information including Passenger Name Records for all passengers;
- to third parties including other airline partners, partners connected with our Loyalty Programme, other service providers including those who are acting as our agent or sub-contractor, including, hoteliers, insurance companies, ground handling service providers, medical assistance providers, caterers, credit card and credit reference agencies, IT and system administration services providers, data analytics & data processing service providers, vendors, and our legal and other professional advisors, including lawyers, bankers, auditors, and insurers;
- to third parties in connection with financing, securitization, insuring, restructuring, assignment or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets or in relation to defence of claims;
- to official authorities, including law enforcement, governmental and regulatory authorities, including health authorities: (a) if we believe disclosure is required by any applicable law or regulation; (b) to protect and defend our rights, or the rights or safety of third parties; or (c) where it is in our legitimate interest to co-operate and share information with such authorities;
- where you have made a travel booking, to passengers travelling under the same booking as you; or
VI. How we Store, Retain, and Erase your Personal Data
We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your Personal Data in accordance with applicable laws.
VII. Your Data Protection Rights
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in the jurisdiction that you are based in relation to your Personal Data:
- Right to be informed: the right to be informed about the collection and use of your Personal Data.
- Right to access: the right to request copies of the Personal Data we hold about you at any time, or that we modify, update or delete such data. This access includes access to information about the processing, such as purpose, categories of data and recipients, duration of the processing, data subjects’ rights and appropriate safeguards in case of third country transfers. If we provide you with access to the Personal Data we hold about you, we will not charge you for this, unless your request is manifestly unfounded or excessive. Where we are legally permitted to do so, we may refuse your request. If we refuse your request, we will tell you the reasons why.
- Right to rectification: the right to have your Personal Data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erase: the right to request that we delete or remove your Personal Data from our systems.
- Right to restrict our use of your Personal Data: the right to limit the way in which we can use or process your Personal Data.
- Right to data portability: the right to request that we move, copy or transfer your Personal Data to another data controller in a machine-readable format.
- Right to object: the right to object to our use or processing of your Personal Data including where we use it for our legitimate interests.
- Right to withdraw consent: the right to withdraw previously given consent to process your Personal Data.
- Right to opt-out: If you no longer wish to receive promotional materials you may opt-out of receiving these communications you may notify us through the contact details mentioned below.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to make a request for exercising the above rights or if you have a grievance related to the processing of your Personal Data.
VIII. Existence of Automated Decision-Making such as Profiling
We may engage in automatic decision making using your Personal Data for marketing purposes in accordance with applicable laws. You have a right to object to such automatic decision making.
X. Transfer of your Personal Data
(a) The Personal Data that we process may be transferred to countries other than where you are based. For example, we transfer your Personal Data, where some of our processors are located. Where applicable law permits such transfer, we rely on consent to transfer such data. If you are based in the EU, we rely on standard data protection clauses that are approved by the European Commission for the transfer of Personal Data outside the European Economic Area.
(b) You can find out more information about these transfer mechanisms by contacting us.
XI. Notification of Breach
XII. Changes to this Privacy Statement
XIII. Privacy Contact Information
XIV. Right to Lodge Complaint with Supervisory Authority
You can also complain to the appropriate regulatory authority under the applicable data privacy law if you are not satisfied with how we have used your Personal Data.
XV. Cookie Usage
6 May 2023