Documents to carry for domestic and international travel
Missing crucial documents on the day of your travel can be a trying situation. Whether it is rules implemented at a short notice or papers presented in the wrong format, passengers and airlines can struggle to keep up with ever changing requirements.
Travel Documents for Domestic Flights
If you are flying on Air India’s domestic flights, please carry the ticket issued in your name along with any of the following valid photo identification documents. Make sure to carry the original document and not a photocopy to enter the airport and get your boarding pass. Below are the lists of documents you can carry for identification:
- Voter ID card
- Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- Driver’s license
- A valid identity card with photo issued by the Central or state government, public sector undertakings, local bodies or public limited companies.
- Student identity cards issued by government institutions or government recognized educational institutions
- Nationalized bank passbook with attested photograph
- Pension card/pension documents with photograph
- Disability ID card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT governments or administrations.
Infants and minors travelling with parents or guardians do not require proof of identity proof. However, the parents or guardians must show valid ID. Unaccompanied minors must carry one of the valid proof-of-identity documents listed above.
If a traveller, for a valid reason is not able to present any of the listed documents, then a group 'A' gazetted officer of the central or state government can issue an identity certificate. The officer must submit this certificate on their official letterhead with a photograph of the passenger duly attested.
Proof of identity and travel documents stored in DigiLocker are accepted at airports in India if you do not wish to carry physical documents.
Travel Documents for International Flights
If you are flying on our international flights, please carry your valid passport, valid visa along with entry permits and necessary health certificates. Also, do ensure that embarkation forms, if required, are filled and submitted to customs and immigration authorities before boarding the aircraft.
Note: If you are a seaman, download the IATA individual ships crew fare resolution.