Permits for Travel in India
Are you travelling to relax on the serene beaches of Andaman and Nicobar Islands or explore the ruins of Kangla palace in Imphal? We would like you to have a hassle-free vacation anywhere in India. Below are a few permits you need before you travel to different cities in India.
Travel Advisory for Agatti, Lakshadweep
If you are travelling to Agatti, Lakshadweep, you must obtain approval from the Lakshadweep administrator for entry to the island.
Click here for details of the entry permit.
Travel Advisory for Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Manipur, and Nagaland
If you are travelling to Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Manipur or Nagaland, you will have to obtain an Inner Line Permit (ILP). Inner Line Permit (ILP) is an official travel document issued by the Government of India to allow inward travel into a protected/restricted area.
So, if you are an Indian citizen from outside these states or an international traveller visiting these states, you will have to obtain an ILP.
Inner Line Permit (ILP) for Travel to Mizoram
If you are travelling to Mizoram, you can obtain an Inner Line Permit (ILP) approved by the Liaison Officer of the Government of Mizoram.
If you are an Indian citizen from a different state in India:
- You can apply for the ILP from the following cities: Kolkata, Silchar, Shillong, Guwahati, and New Delhi.
- If you are a government employee travelling for official purposes, you are exempted from obtaining an ILP. But you must carry a photo identification card with you at all times.
- If you are flying to Mizoram via any Air India flight, you can obtain a pass from the security officer on arrival at the Lengpui Airport, Aizawl.
If you are an international traveller visiting Mizoram:
- You need to register yourself within 24 hours of your arrival at the office of the Superintendent of Police (CID/SB), Mizoram, who is the designated Foreigners Registration Officer (FRO) of the state.
- If you are a citizen of Afghanistan, China, or Pakistan or a foreign national originating from these countries, you must seek prior approval from the Ministry of Home Affairs, India, before entering Mizoram.
Inner Line Permit for Travel to Manipur
If you are an Indian citizen from a state other than Manipur or an international traveller visiting Manipur, you will have to obtain an Inner Line Permit (ILP). If you are flying to Manipur via any Air India flight, you can obtain the ILP from the counter at Bir Tikendrajit International Airport, Imphal.
Travel Advisory for Andaman and Nicobar Islands
As per government orders, if you are a foreign national visiting the Union Territories of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, you are required to obtain a Restricted Area Permit (RAP).
If you are a citizen of any of the following nations or a member of the below-mentioned organisations, you will not be issued a Restricted Area Permit (RAP) without prior approval from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- Countries: Afghanistan, China, and Pakistan
- Foreign nationals of Pakistani origin
- Foreign diplomats
- Members of the United Nations
- Members of international organisations holding diplomatic passports
- Individuals holding visas for journalism, research, and conferences
Note : As per orders from the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO), Port Blair, any foreign national of the above-stated category that arrives without obtaining prior approval from the Ministry of Home Affairs to Port Blair will be denied entry.
You can obtain a Restricted Area Permit (RAP) from:
- Indian Missions located overseas.
- Foreigners Regional Registration offices (FRRO) located in New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, and Kolkata.
- Immigration Authorities at the airports in New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Kolkata.